Friday, August 24, 2012

Great Clips: Salon Review

Summer is almost over, so I thought it would be a nice time to get a little hair cut. I received these coupons in the mail the other week for this new salon across the street called "Great Clips". I googled them online, and they are an American franchise that sells itself on affordable hair care (like a First Choice Haircutters type of deal).

Anyways, I figured I would check it out since I only needed a little trim and wanted to see what my coupon for a $6.99 cut would get me. (Regular price is $14 by the way).

So I get to the salon within the first 15 minutes of opening time and it is dead. Perfect! Two ladies appear from the back room and welcome me to the salon and ask what I would like. I check their "menu" and notice that haircut, shampooing and conditioning are all seperate services. I thought this weird as most salons will have cut and style as a package deal (which always includes a wash). So I assumed the cut would come with all the above and told the lady I just wanted a cut.

She directs me to a chair and puts on my beauty cape (A.K.A the smock) and I show her a picture of the type of cut I want. She has a look at the picture on my phone and confirms that she will only be taking about an inch off.

Then, like a scene straight out of my childhood, she brings out a SPRAY BOTTLE and starts spraying my messy, dirty hair. (This was at 9am in the morning, so I did not do my hair before going to the salon). "What is this?" I wonder to myself. Since when do salons spray people's hair who are over the age of 5? So I assumed this meant no wash was included in the cut. Rats! I should have asked to make sure it was because she continued to cut away with her spray bottle and scissors.

The whole cut took probably 5 minutes. We chit chatted a bit about our weekend plans and the usual polite stranger-type awkward conversations. When she was done, she took a mirror to show me the back. I couldn't even see the cut because my hair was all ratty anyway. I just smiled and went straight to the cash register. I used my coupon and tipped the lady $2 for a grand total of $9.90 for the cut.

Once I got home from the salon, I quickly put some beach spray in my hair to turn my rat's nest into a wavy-do. I was shocked that the stylist didn't even ask if I wanted a wash and style with my cut, have they never heard of upselling or are they just that lazy/non chalant about hair?

It is now evening, and I just freshly washed my new cut hair. It feels nice and she did a good job on the cut. I guess this cut made me realize that when us ladies do go to the salon to get haircuts, we pay an arm and a leg for the wash and style part. And now I am wondering, why? Unless you have somewhere to be, what is the point of getting a wash and style when it lasts only for a day anyway? Food for thought!

So my verdict about Great Clips is this:
It is a great salon if you want a quick no-nonsense trim or cut without all the fancy extras. It really is a "get what you pay for" experience.
If you are looking for a more luxurious, spa like experience, do not go here! Pay the extra $20 and go to a more upscale salon.

2 comments:

  1. Well great clips is my favorite salon and yes whats wrong in that if you would have tell the stylist that you would want your hair wash too then she might also have your hair washed.And yes coupons for great clips are the best way to save money in salon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your response and for the link. Do you go to Great Clips in Canada or the USA? How long have you been going?

      Delete